Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Super Mex





Super Mex
6830 Katella
Cypress
714-903-1678

While I was taking a different route to Long Beach, going west on Katella, so I didn't have to fight the traffic on the 22 freeway, I found Super Mex just west of Knott. What's interesting is that there are two Super Mexs in the same shopping center. There is a take out only and a sit down, dine in Super Mex. The pictures are from the dine in Super Mex. Super Mex has been around since 1954, starting in Long Beach and expanding into the Orange Curtain.

Super Mex has the most interesting chips and salsa. The salsa is fine, not too spicy and fresh. But the chips are whole corn tortillas and you have to break them into bite sized pieces. They were good but they had spent too much time under a heat lamp.

I ordered an asada tostada. The tostada came on two corn tortilla chips, a small amount of beans, lettuce, jack and cheddar cheese and guacamole. The asada was a little different than most asada that I've had. It had more of a chili flavor. Most asada are grilled with citrus marniade. It was tender and tasty but not my type. Give me the regular asada. The other ingredients were very fresh and tasty. Not the best tostada I've ever had, I actually would prefer a nice tostada shell, not just corn tortilla chips.

Service was pretty good. I was greeted quickly and my order was taken quickly. My only complaint was that the server didn't refill my water quickly enough.

I would go back to Super Mex but would order the chicken or carnitas. Not a big fan of their asada.