Saturday, October 14, 2006

My Expectations

Here are my expectations from hosts/hostess and servers.

1. When I walk in, I should be greeted quickly, in a nice friendly manner. For a host/hostess not to say anything to me is wrong. A simple Hi. How many people? Or Hi, What would you like to order? is fine. I've worked in retail before and you are trained to greet each customer. The customer shouldn't have to greet you.

2. Once I'm seated, my drink order should be taken within a couple minutes. I won't wait around for a server to come. If you're going to be my server and you're busy, all you have to do is say "I'll be right with you." At the very least acknowledge I'm there!!!! I've been to restaurants and a server passed by me 4-5 times and actually told me "Sorry I didn't see you there." Then that server must be blind.

3. Servers aren't blind. If you see my water glass or drink glass empty, ask me if I want more to drink. Also advise me if the restaurant doesn't offer free refills.

4. This is a pretty big pet peeve. When a server picks up the money, don't ask me if I need change. That's rude and arrogant. I'll normally say something like "We're good. Or It's all your's." OK, I sometimes forget to say that and I'll usually put an extra buck or two for wasting the server's time. If I don't say that, just bring back my change. If you as a server are too damn lazy to make an extra trip, maybe you should get another job.

5. If you had a bad day or even a bad customer before me, don't take it out on me. I didn't do anything to you. But you're hurting your chances of a good tip if you take out your anger or frustations on me.

6. If you're going to ask 'How is everything?" don't ask it 2 minutes after you served the meal. Give me a few (at least 5, no more than 10) minutes before asking how things are. Believe me if something is wrong I will tell you. Also come back to the table at least once before asking if we are finished eating. Drinks maybe running low, I may want to place a take out order, whatever.

7. If something is wrong with my order, don't argue with me. Just take it back and being me the correct order.

8. I'll admit I'm picky about things. I like dressing for salad on the side. I like BBQ sauce on the side. But those aren't that big of a deal and doesn't require that more more effort. Don't cop an attitude if I ask for those things.

9. I also don't like to feel rushed, whether to order or to finish eating. I know if places are busy and I'm taking up space at the restaurant. I also know when the restaurant is about to close. Don't rush me.

10. I know people who work as mystery shoppers. I know what the companies are looking for. I know how companies train their servers and what their expecations of servers are. Yes, I don't go to many chain restaurants but the type of restaurants I go to can learn a lot about customer service. The privately owned restaurants I go to, need the good customer service. Food can take you only so far.

11. I don't care about your life or your problems. So don't cry or talk about your life or problems unless I ask. Believe me I won't ask.

12. If I ask for something that should be at my table already, silverware, napkins etc, don't cop an attitude or make an excuse. Just get the damn thing. I don't want to hear excuses and I don't want a damn attitude. If the other server or busboy didn't do the job, don't complain and cry to me. Take it up with the person who messed up, away from my table.

The best service I've had is at Michaelangelo's Pizza. Great friendly service.