Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mario's Italian Deli



Mario's Italian Deli
740 Broadway
Glendale
818-242-4114

Update: November 14, 2012.  Check out the updated review for Mario's Italian Deli & Market.

I dropped by Mario's Italian Deli in Glendale for a sandwich. I have heard some good things about it and wanted to try it.

So I ordered the corned beef sandwich for $6.44. The sandwich comes with mayo, mustard, lettuce, onions, and tomatoes and provolne cheese. I never put mustard or onions on a sandwich, those two condiments belong on a hot dog ONLY. The sandwich is made on a hard Italian roll. They cut the bread into three layers. The bottom layer gets some meat, cheese, and lettuce. The middle layer gets the mayo, more meat and tomatoe. I'm not sure if that SOP for Mario's but that's how my sandwich maker made my sandwich. I thought they put way too much mayo. I like mayo but I don't want the bread to be drowned by mayo. She could have cut the amount of mayo in half and put some on the bottom layer. Because of that, I thought the sandwich was a bit dry.

The corned beef was pretty good but was on the salty side. The lettuce and tomatoe were fresh.

Mario's is OK. Nothing special and I think overpriced. $6.44 for a 8 inch sandwich? There is a good amount of meat but nothing overwhelming. The quality of meat is good, but not great. Why the high price?

Service is slow. There were four to five people ahead of me and it took about 10 minutes before I even placed an order. They sandwich makers take forever to make a sandwich.

I wouldn't go back to Mario's, even to try any other sandwiches.