Monday, June 19, 2006

Felix Continental Cafe




Felix Continental Cafe
36 Plaza Square
Orange
714-633-5842

I haven't gone o many Cuban restaurants. But one mof my first taste of Cuban cuisine was a Cuban sandwich and I have loved it ever since. I think Felix in Orange has one of the best Cuban sandwiches around. Felix is on the southwest side of the Orange Circle, which is Chapman and Glassell.

I went to Felix for lunch and the ordered the Cuban sandwich for $6.40. The sandwich is huge, as you can see from the pictures. The sandwich is filled with roast leg of pork, ham, swiss cheese, mustard and pickles on a Cuban baguette. The pork is nice and tender with lots of flavor. The ham is your regular lunch meat ham and the baguette is nicely toasted and chewy.

Service is good. I ordered the sandwich to good and they said it would be 10 minutes for my order. Ten minutes later the sandwich came and was pipping hot. The actual dining room is fairly small but they have outdoor seating but then you have to deal with scumbag smokers. I haven't tried any other items on the menu but the Cuban sandwich is good and a great deal.


Update May 22, 2008




I went back to Felix and again had the Cuban sandwich, now $7.95. It was still the same quality and quanity as the last time I went. A good sanwich.

I also ordered the Calamaritos Fritos, which is thin strips of squid lightly floured and deep fried. Cuban calamari, $7.50. I wasn't happy with this. The calamari was very chewy and not fresh at all. They also need to change the oil they deep fry the calamari. It's too diry and thus turns the calamari very dark brown.

Service was very good though the lady spoke with such a heavy accent, it was hard to understand her at times. But we weren't lacking for anything.

I know I should try something different but I do love a good Cuban sandwich. Maybe one day soon.