Wednesday, May 31, 2006

L & L Hawaiian BBQ


L & L Hawaiian BBQ
515 Grand Ave
Walnut
909-444-0030

L & L Hawaiian BBQ is a chain that started in Hawaii and has spread like crazy in California. I have been to L & L before and I was impressed with their prices, quality of food, and amount of food. But this time I was only impressed with the amount of food.

I order the seafood combo for $8.43 which includes fried mahi mahi, fried shrimp, and teriyaki steak. Included in all plates and combos is two scoops of rice and one scoop of macroni salad.

L & L cooks everything to order. There are no heat lamps and junk like that, so expect to wait for your food. They gave me at least half a pound of the teriyaki steak, the shrimp was huge and the mahi mahi was a good size. The macroni salad is very good, better than most mac salad I've tried. The rice is a sticky, sushi type rice. The fried shrimp was nice and hot but too hard and crunchy. The fried mahi mahi was very salty and just didn't seem to be fresh at all. I wasn't impressed. I did like the teriyaki steak, nice flavor and tenderness but it had too much fat for me tastes.

While I didn't go home hungry, I wasn't that impressed with L & L this time. I wouldn't rush back. A good value to be sure but the quality has gone done while the prices have gone up. Not a good combination.