Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Nathan's-Closed



Nathan's
9216 W Pico Blvd
LA
310-273-0303

Nathan's is the legendary hot dog stand in New York City. I heard they opened up two locations in LA. One near the Kodak Theatre on Hollywood and Highland and this location on Pico in LA. The Hollywood and Highland location with in the Kenny Rogers Roasters restaurant but closed down in early 2005.

So I decide to give the Nathan's on Pico a try. This is back in December of 2005 and I didn't realize that the best hot dog in LA was just a few blocks east at Jeff's Gourmet Sausage Factory!! But I tried Nathan's and not good at all. The hot dog was lukewarm at best, even though I saw them grill it. The toppings, onions, relish, and mustard are fresh. But the hot dog it's wasn't great. It lacked any kind of flavor and snap. I would have been better off going to a supermarket and buying the Nathan's brand hot dogs and making it myself.

The service was terrible. Some punk kid, son of the owner who thinks he's god because his daddy owns a store.

Nathan's has a big menu that includes ribs, fried chicken, sandwiches, and burgers. Instead of having such a big variety on the menu, they should worry about doing a couple things right. Since it is called Nathan's they should make the hot dogs live up to the Nathan's name. This Nathan's doesn't even come close.