Friday, November 21, 2008

The Donut Man



The Donut Man
915 E Route 66
Glendora
626-335-9111

A few years ago I learned the difference between A and The. For example, when somebody say The New Diner is a A blog to read, if you want reviews on a wide range of restaurant. That means there are other blogs out there that also review a wide range of restaurants. But when somebody says The New Diner is THE blog to read. That means The New Diner is the BEST!!! That person would also be speaking the truth. :) Just kidding.

So when somebody calls themselves The Donut Man, their donuts better be damn good. I got a chocolate and an apple filled donut, $2.20 for both. I base every donut shop on their chocolate glazed donut. If it's good I'll go back there. This chocolate donut was among the best I've had. The first thing you notice is the thicker, richer chocolate. VERY impressive. The next thing is the denser donut. These aren't the light fluffy Krispy Kreme kind. These are much more dense. I like this chocolate.

But what Mr. Donut is known for is their fresh fruit filled donuts. Whatever is in season, they will fill into a donut. I have heard that their strawberry filled are awesome!!! But they didn't have any strawberry since they are not in season. So I got the apple filled. The donut was again the dense, heavier kind. But the apple filling was too sweet and tasted as though it belonged in a Hostess apple pie. I wasn't impressed at all.

UPDATE: It has come to my attention that Mr. Donut only does two seasonal fruits, strawberry and peach.

Service is pretty good. I thought both donuts were fresh and that's a good sign since I got the donuts about 11am.

I wouldn't go out of my way for The Donut Man but if I was in the area, I would go back. I didn't think it lived up to it's hype.

One more thing, as I was driving to The Donut Man, I noticed that Bam Bam Bar B Que has now closed. I'm so shocked. Please notice that dripping sarcasm.