Monday, February 26, 2007

Robin's BBQ-Closed



Robin's BBQ
395 Rosemead
Pasadena
626-351-8885

Robin's BBQ. There are many differing opinions about Robin's. Some people think it's among the best BBQ places in LA. Others feel it's bad BBQ. I am with the bad BBQ crowd.

I ordered the spareribs, (Big shock, I know) for $17.95. The ribs had some smoke flavor but nothing great. The ribs had way too much fat. I don't think they were smoked but grilled over hickory wood. The BBQ sauce was about as good as KC Masterpiece from the bottle.

Service is good. Our server greeted us promptly. He took our order and was friendly. After our meals arrived he made sure we had anything we needed. He also came back and asked how our meal was going. Our drinks were always filled.

But even with good service, the food just isn't that good and on the pricey side.

Update April 20, 2009.




I went back to Robin's and got the hot wings, $7.95 and the Garbage Can Combo, $29.95. The combo includes beef ribs, spare ribs, and baby back ribs, hot link, chicken and tri tip.

The wings are pretty good. Meaty, fried well. But I thought they just topped the hot sauce on top of the wings, instead of blending the sauce together. There were some wings that did not have sauce and others that had a ton of sauce.

Now the garbage can combo was great. I shared with a friend and we still had leftovers!!!

(2) Spare ribs. I was really impressed with the spare ribs. Lots of smoke flavor, meaty, not much fat. A much better example of BBQ ribs this time.

(2) Beef ribs. These beef ribs had the most amount of meat I have ever had. The meat was tender, well smoked, and not fatty at all. Maybe one of the best examples of BBQ beef ribs, I have ever had.

(4) Baby back ribs. Nice and meaty, not fat, good smoke flavor. They are babybacks after all.

We got four slices of tri tip, which very tender and with little fat. I really liked the tri tip here.

I didn't touch the chicken, I was so full after this meal.

Again a much better experience here at Robin's. This garbage can combo is the best value at Robin's.

Now would I come back? Maybe. Why? When a restaurant is inconsistent with their BBQ, I am not sure if I will go back. But I did enjoy this visit to Robins.