Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe



Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe
667 Brea Canyon
Diamond Bar
909-594-3679

I used to have Charlie's sandwiches once a month at work. While the sandwiches weren't anything great it was easy since they delivered to work. So I decide to give them another try. To my surprised they have moved and changed ownership. The new location is in an industrial location and during lunch they do a good business.

I ordered the small corned beef on squaw bread. Sandwiches come with mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles. Cheese is 20 cents extra. The small sized sandwiches you have a choice of bread but the large sized sandwiches only come on an Italian roll, which is very tough and chewy. I would stick to the small sandwiches.

The corned beef was nothing special. It wasn't Boar's Head or a quality corned beef. It was just regular corned beef from your supermarket deli, that was heated up in the microwave or toaster oven. But it was good enough. The bread was slightly toasted and warm. The lettuce was fresh but kind of bitter. The tomatoes were also fresh but they were cut pretty thin and they weren't exactly stacked high.

Service is pretty good. You're greetly quickly in a friendly way. The order was taken but I thought the wait was a little longer than normal. But part of that maybe them filling phone orders. The location is clean, most people clean off their tables but during my 30 minutes or so at Charlie's, I didn't see any employees clear or wipe off the tables.

I think Charlie's has actually improved under new ownership but there are plenty of other sandwich shops in the area that have a much better sandwich. So Charlie's wouldn't be my first choice for a sandwich but I would go back there.