Tuesday, August 21, 2007

D' Antonio's-Closed



Dantonio's Ristorante
808 N Diamond Bar Blvd
Diamond Bar
909-860-3663

Dantonios has been in Diamond Bar for over 20 years. It started as a family owned Italian restaurant. The family has changed, it recently changed ownership, but Dantonio's is still going strong.

I ordered the calamari, $6.95 and the lunch lasagna, $10.95, to go. While I was waiting there was a very large lunch crowd. While waiting for my food I talked to the new owner and he told me he bought the restauarant about two weeks ago.

The calamari were shaped like onion rings. When I first saw them I thought they were onion rings. But they were in fact calamari. The batter was crispy and just out of the fryer. But the calamari was too chewy and you could tell it was frozen. I wasn't happy with that.

The lasagna had tons ricotta and mozzarella cheese but it was drown in a marinara sauce that was just too sour. The pasta was cooked just right, the cheese was great but the sauce left a lot to be desired.

Service was average. They did seem to take a longer than usual time to get more order ready. I know I ordered a deep fried item but it seemed to take longer. Maybe they were busy with their lunch crowd? But the owner was nice and friendly and answered my questions. Though when he saw me take pictures of the menu, he said I could find the menu on their website. Now I'm not sure how he meant that. Was he upset that I was taking pictures of the menu? Or was he trying to be helpful?

I would not go back to D'Antonio's. The lunch prices are on the pricey side but the dinner prices are overpriced and even if they give you a larger portion, the food isn't that good to justify the higher price. Service is average at best.