Saturday, February 24, 2007

J & S






J&S
887 Garfield
Montebello
323-725-8106

Driving on the 60 freeway going to LA, I've must have passed by J & S tons of times. I finally decided to give them a try. J & S was probably started as a burger stand and as the area and ownership changed, they added Mexican items.

I got the meat burrito for $3.25 and the cheeseburger for $2.70. The beef burrito was filled with shredded beef. It reminded me of sloppy joe's with shredded instead of grounded beef. The burrito had just the right spices and was very good. Better than some Mexican restaurants I've been to.

The cheeseburger was pretty average. Nothing outstanding about it. The burger was dry and lacked any flavor. The burger patty was also very thin and considering the price, not worth it.

Service is slow. The people are nice and take your order quickly. But they don't speak much English and it would help if you knew Spanish. But it takes forever to get your food after placing your order. You could go get gas at the corner and come back and still have time to call listen to the over the hill Vin Scully making one of his hundreds of errors while calling a Dodger game.

I would go back to J & S but I would stick to the Mexican fare. The burrito are great. The burgers leave a lot to be desired.