Friday, September 22, 2006

Steve's BBQ




Steve's BBQ
7007 Greenleaf Ave.
Whittier
562-789-0200

I found out that Steve's has a $6.99 all you can eat, lunch special, Wed-Fri. So I was in the area and decided to give it a try. Steve's is in Uptown Whittier and there is parking in the back.

The buffet is set up with somebody piling your plate with whatever you want. They have everything from bbq spare ribs, chicken, chips and salsa, salad bar, and some Mexican dishes.

The first picture shows the BBQ spare ribs, BBQ chicken leg and broccoli. The ribs are not smoked but baked in an oven and just covered with a sweet BBQ sauce. They were overcooked, falling off the bone, which I'm not a fan of. They had a lot of meat on them but also a lot of fat. The sauce is too sweet for my taste.

The BBQ chicken was also very soft and overcooked. They only have leg quarters, no white meat during the buffet.

The broccoli was also mushy as if they were on the steam table for too long. I prefer my vegetables crispy.

The best part of the buffet at Steve's was the macaroni salad. WOW was it good. First of all it's served hot, which is different than almost every other mac salad I've had at a BBQ place. The mac salad has peas, carrots and huge pieces of ham in it. But the best part is the stroganoff-like creamy topping, which is so good. By far the best macaroni salad I've ever had.

Service is very good. The lady who is behind the steam table was very friendly and she kept asking if the amount she put on my plate was enough. She would have piled my plate with tons of ribs if I wanted.

Steve's is an OK BBQ place. Nothing great but it caters to the area, meaning suburbanites!!! I wouldn't go back to Steve's for the BBQ. I would go back for the mac salad.

Please note, if you're going to comment about Steve's BBQ or any other BBQ place I've reviewed, spare me the "You should try the brisket or the pulled pork." Those comments will be deleted. I have already stated I only go to BBQ place for PORK SPARE RIBS. There are many other blogs that review the other meats served at BBQ places. So if you want those reviews go to those blogs. My blog will only review the PORK RIBS.