Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Gumbo Pot



The Gumbo Pot
6333 W. Third St.
LA
323-933-0358

After a tour of the art work along the Gold Line, I decided to go to Farmer's Market and Canter's Deli, taking the trains and buses. The trip to Farmer's Market from Union Station took about 30 mins, which is great. The bus dropped me off right in front of the Farmer's Market on Fairfax.

So I go to The Gumbo Pot. Now I hate gumbo but I love Cajun/New Orleans style cooking. I ordered the shrimp plater for $8.12, that included cornbread and a salad. Shrimp is rolled with cornmeal and then fried, making for a nice crunchy outside. The shrimp came right out of the fryer, so the wait was about 10-15 minutes. The shrimp was very hot but they weren't exactly big, but for $8, they did give you a good portion. They have a heavy crunch/texture to them because of the cornmeal.

The salad was romaine lettuce with a nice creamy dressing with walnuts. The red sauce you see is the cocktail sauce and is one of the better cocktail sauce's I've had. A very good spicy flavor that added to the shrimp.

Service is good but lines can be long and since they cook to order most fried orders, be prepared to wait.

If I'm in the area, I would go back to Gumbo pot and maybe order a Po'Boy but I wouldn't go out of my way for the Gumbo Pot. The shrimp is good enough but nothing special or outstanding. And with so many other food choices at The Farmer's Market, I would have to be in the mood for Cajun/New Orleans style food.