Saturday, September 16, 2006

El Cholo-La Habra



El Cholo
840 Whittier Blvd.
La Habra
562-691-4618

El Cholo has been around since 1923. They also have locations in Pasadena and LA, which I believe is the original location. The La Habra location looks like a mission, complete with the bell tower. It's a very popular restaurant with a fairly small parking lot, so park on Whittier Blvd.

I had the chicken chimichangas for $14 tax and tip included. The chimichangas weren't the traditional burrito deep fried. They were shaped as egg rolls and then deep fried. The filling was just chicken which was boiled and bland, just no flavor to it. The tortilla was flakey, crispy and light and I would rate the tortilla better than Casa Jimenez. But the chimichangas at Casa Jimenez, which was stuffed with flavorful beef, beans and rice, was overall much better.

Service was fast and friendly. But it's a very busy place and it can be quite loud in there.

I wouldn't go back to El Cholo. The food is good enough but nothing special. I think the main problem with El Cholo is that they cater to a mostly gringo crowd. A sure sign it's an average or worse Mexican restaurant. Even if I was in the area, I would go over the hill to Casa Jimenez, which has better food and much lower prices.