Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Billy's-Glendale-Closed



Billy's
216 Orange St.
Glendale
818-246-1689

I haven't been to Billy's in over ten years. But I remembered Billy's being a very good deli. So since I was in the area, I decided to go back to Billy's and try their sandwiches again. I'm glad I did go back to Billy's after going to Canter's about a week ago.

I ordered the #16 combo for about $14 tax and tip included. The sandwich is suppose to be brisket, corned beef, swiss cheese and dressing. But I asked for pastrami instead of brisket and they gladly made the substitution. All sandwiches include a side and I choosed cole slaw. About two minutes later my sandwich comes. The meat are staked so high and I was impressed. The swiss cheese and dressing were put on the pastrami. I took a bite out of the pastrami and it was much better than the pastrami at Canter's. The pastrami was tender and wasn't salty at all. It had a little more fat than I like but overall the pastrami is first rate. The swiss cheese added a nice nutty flavor. The dressing, which is Thousand Island dressing, wasn't as tangy as many thousland island dressings I've had. A much more mild flavor to this dressing which also added to the taste of the sandwich.

I next had the corned beef and wow, was it great. Tender, not stringy, flavorful and lean. Maybe the best corned beef sandwich in LA. The rye bread was soft and fresh and the crust was hard at all. I personally don't understand why people like the crust hard on bread.

I also really like the cole slaw. This cole slaw wasn't soaked with mayo. It was basically some kind of pickled cabbage. Not too tart or sweet. But very fresh and crispy cabbage. If BBQ places could make cole slaw like this!!!

Service was good though she could have filled my glass of water a little faster and checked more often. But when I paid, there were four or five people in front of me and only one cashier!!!

I would go back to Billy's. The parking structure next door to Billy's offers 2 free hours of parking with validation.