Monday, August 28, 2006

Blue Hen-Closed



Blue Hen
1743 Colorado
Los Angeles
323-982-9900

Blue Hen is a Vietnamese restaurant that serves organic items. I was willing to give it a try, even though Vietnamese isn't a type of food I like.

I ordered the Blue Hen Salad which is organic chicken, cabbage, carrots,peanuts, and herbs with a shallot-garlic dressing I asked for the soy and not the fish sauce dressing for $9 include tax and tip.

The salad arrives and there is a ton of fresh cabbage and carrots. But there is very little chicken. They use a small amount of dressing, which I like, I hate salad that is drowned in dressing. The dressing was light and didn't overpower the cabbage. I didn't get much, if any, garlic taste, which is good since I do not like garlic.

Service was good and they get a very steady crowd on a Monday night. The owners are very friendly and helpful.

But I wouldn't go back to Blue Hen. The salad was mostly cabbage and very little chicken. I know organic chicken maybe expensive but paying $7 for a cabbage salad isn't a good value.