Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Michael J's-Closed



Michael J's
2315 Foothill
La Verne
909-596-1567

A family style restaurant at the corner of Foothill and Fruit in La Verne, Michael J's has your typical homestyle foods. A sign on the windown mentioned all you can eat fish and chips for $7.99 so I decided to give it a try. Big mistake.

I get to the restaurant and there were about 15 people there. So take a look at the menu and they offer everything from burgers to salads, to breakfast items, and sandwiches. But I go ahead and order the fish and chips. The dinner cames with soup or salad and I get the salad. The salad was just lettuce, croutons and some red cabbage. The salad was fresh and cold, which all salads should be. So I'm happy with the start.

The fish and chips are cooked to order and arrive at my table very hot, five minutes or so after I finished my salad. Four, finger sized pieces of fish arrive on top of a plate of fries. I take a bite and there is little crunch. Not good. The fish, I believe cod, was indeed hot but too greasy and the lack of crunch really makes it a bad example of fried fish. I decided to try one more batch to see if things would improve. But the second batch was more greasy and still lacked crunch. The tartar sauce was nothing to write home about either.

The service was pretty good. The waitress did forget to bring/ask about malt vinegar but I don't put malt vinegar on fried fish so that didn't really matter. Otherwise she was nice and attentive.

I wouldn't order the fish and chips again at Michael J's but I may try some of the other items on the menu.